Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Introducing PENTATONES by Patches & Racks



Pentatones by Patches & Racks


Features:

  • 5-band bandpass filtering over a range of low, mid and high frequencies
  • Band-specific outputs with voltage-controlled amplification/attenuation
  • +12dB to -dB gain range for each band
  • CV control over band weight/intensity 
  • Mixed output with gain control
  • High-quality components designed specifically for audio use
  • Fully analog circuit design

Specs:

  • Width: 14HP
  • Depth: Variable
  • Supply: TBD
  • Anodized aluminum front panel



******************


After many months of researching, developing and assembling, I am proud to present my first Eurorack module, Pentatones!


Pentatones is a 5-band graphic equalizer, but not your typical one, in that it features CV control for each band. The bands are spread over the entire audio spectrum, at frequencies 80, 240, 750, 2.2k and 8kHz, and use active two-pole bandpass filtering (Q-factor: 4.3). 


The idea for Pentatones came out of need. Throughout my search for modules, I was surprised to find that there were no EQ modules (to the best of my knowledge) that had CV control for each band. I saw this as a unique DIY opportunity and decided to take on the challenge. 


The entire process of creating this module was super rewarding. I've learned so much along the way. Because of this, I've decided to release a multi-part set of articles on this site, titled "How I built my own Eurorack module", as a way to consolidate all of the knowledge I've acquired over this process and share it with you all. My hope is that many of you in the DIY world will be able to use the info to make modules of your own. Stay tuned for these!


For those asking if I'm selling Pentatones to the public, I have no plans for this as of now. But who knows, if there is enough interest in the module, I would reconsider. 



Stay tuned for my series of articles!



-Uncle Peter


Additional Images:




1 comment:

  1. I love this! Do you'll sell it? PCB+PANEL? Black panel?

    ReplyDelete