Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Making it Work #1: Clouds, Disting mk2, FutureRetro Transient

"Making it Work" is a new series that I'm launching. It's new take on the classic "3 module challenge". What I'll be doing is picking three modules at random from my rack and find a way to make a decent sounding patch from them. It's something I'm really looking forward to, and I'm hoping I'll be able to learn more about the capabilities of my modules by doing so.

In this first episode of the series, I make a patch using Mutable Instruments Clouds, Expert Sleepers Disting mk2 and FutureRetro Transient. Here's what I managed to come up with:


Not too bad to be honest! From the start, I knew that I was going to use the Transient to make a beat and have it triggered by a square wave from Disting. But I wanted to use a different mode on Clouds just to make things sound a bit different. Luckily, the Parasite firmware I have on Clouds has a cool resonator mode, which allowed me to turn the beat generated by the Transient into a melody-like sound. Who knew!

Here's the more detailed version of what's going on:

Disting mk2 is in "4-B Clockable LFO" mode. Output A generates a sine wave that modulates the FutureRetro Transient. Output B generates a square wave that acts as a clock source for FutureRetro Transient. Both waves are oscillating at a low frequency (1.5Hz or 90BPM). 

The Transient is set to the "RANDOMeYeS" sample and is being triggered and modulated by Disting. Its output is multed to a mixer and Clouds.

Clouds is in resonator mode; an alternate mode in the Parasite firmware. Position is set to 11 o'clock, Size is set to 12 o'clock, Pitch is set to 10 o'clock, Gain is set to 4 o'clock, Density set to 5 o'clock, Texture set to 12 o'clock and Blend set to just over 9 o'clock. It is outputted to the mixer as well, which now outputs both the raw Transient beat and the "melody" generated by Clouds. 


So I think we can call that a successful first challenge. I'm really looking forward to doing more of these challenges, hopefully they all sound as good as this one!


Happy patching friends,


-Uncle Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment